Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Taco Tuesday!

Happy Taco Tuesday!  We used to make that a tradition every week, but we've been on nothing even close to a routine the last few months.  We'll be at Tripp's first Dodger game tonight, so I decided to make fish tacos last night instead.  Lucky for you. :-)

Tripp is starting to work himself into a 7:30ish bedtime, so while Patrick was doing the bath/bedtime routine, I went downstairs to get dinner going and we enjoyed a nice adult dinner sans baby. 


I drank from my goblet to celebrate Patrick's last day in the Navy...today! 


Ten years of service and he's all done.  On to the next chapter!

I digress.  I'm normally not a huuuuge fan of Hungry Girl recipes because she uses a lot of processed ingredients, but I do have a couple of pages bookmarked in her "200 under 200" cookbook.  One I keep coming back to: San Diego Baja-style Fish Tacos <--- obviously I would fall in love with anything named after my favorite city.  Duh. 

This isn't her recipe verbatim; I've made my own little substitutions.

For Tacos:
4 small white corn tortillas
8 oz raw Cod or Mahi Mahi, cut into even strips (I always make extra so I have leftovers for salads)
1 cup thinly sliced green cabbage
1/2 cup Fiber One cereal
3 egg whites, beaten
1 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp onion powder
sea salt
black pepper
Optional: chopped cilantro, lime wedges, salsa, avocado

For Sauce:
1/3 cup low-fat mayo (I use Follow Your Heart soy-free Veganaise)
2 tbsp low-fat sour cream (I use Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream)
2 tbsp chopped yellow onion
1/2 tsp lime juice
sea salt
cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the sauce.  Mix well and refrigerate until you're ready to assemble the tacos.  For the cabbage, you can buy a whole head and risk chopping off fingertips to slice it yourself (probably unevenly)...or if you're lazy smart like me and have a sweet food processor, you can use this amazing attachment



and put 1/4 of the head in at a time and watch your cabbage get sliced perfectly in 2.5 seconds.  You can also buy a bag of shredded cabbage at Trader Joe's. ;-)  Toss the cabbage with the vinegar and refrigerate until you're ready to assemble your tacos. 

In a blender or food processor, grind the Fiber One cereal until it has the consistency of bread crumbs.  Transfer to a bowl and mix with the garlic powder, garlic salt, onion powder, salt and pepper.  Place the egg whites in another bowl.  Spray a cooking sheet with olive oil spray.  One by one, coat pieces of fish in egg whites and then with the breadcrumb mixture, then transfer to the cooking sheet.  Cook for 12 minutes until the fish start to brown. 

To assemble tacos, warm the tortillas in the microwave (or if you're lucky enough to have a gas stove, over a low flame).  I found these at Sprouts and will never buy another brand:


They taste like your Nana just made them from scratch.  Amazing.

Place a fish strip in the tortilla, top with cabbage and sauce.  If you like, add avocado and cilantro and serve with lime wedges.  My big fail for the night: I forgot to ask Patrick to stop by the store and pick up some more avocados and limes.  Rookie move Shaina. 

The "refried" black beans are actually just my slow cooker black beans that I put in the food processor for about 10 seconds to give them the consistency of refried beans, topped with a little bit of cheese.  Refried beans really aren't that healthy, so is was my way of Shaina-fying them.

I hope you enjoy!  Tripp & I are off to make some new friends this morning.  Have a wonderful day!

xo Shaina





No comments:

Post a Comment