Hey hey! Halfway to the weekend and Happy Birthday to my sister-in-law Colleen! J
Early busy morning over here - started on the yoga mat. I thought it would be a good time to share a great recipe for easy, grab-and-go protein bars. I’m in love with these because they’re a great snack, pack a lot of protein, can be completely dairy & gluten free and will fill you up between meals. AND because they totally taste like you're cheating - but you're not! Each bar has roughly 220 calories and 8 grams of protein (depending on the brands & optional ingredients you use).
1 ½ cup dry oats (gluten free oats are available for the GF folks!)
½ cup raisins (dried cranberries, date chunks, etc. also work – I like to change it up each time)
½ cup mini chocolate chips (dairy free chips available at Whole Foods for my vegans)
¼ cup chopped raw almonds or walnuts (optional)
2 Tbsp ground flax seed
1.5 tsp cinnamon (and maybe a little extra – I like cinnamon)
1 mashed ripe banana
½ cup pure maple syrup (try to find Grade B – usually at WF or a health food store. You can use agave nectar as well)
½ cup of your favorite nut butter (I’m on an almond butter kick right now!)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir well.
2. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir well.
3. Spread mixture into an 8x8 baking pan lined with wax paper. Press into corners until flat and even throughout the pan.
4. Place pan in the freezer for a few hours or until firm.
5. Remove pan from freezer and cut into 15 small bars. Wrap bars individually in plastic wrap for an easy grab-and-go snack! Bars can be stored in the freezer for up to 1 month.
**bars will soften at room temp so eat within 15 minutes of removing from the freezer**
I’m off to work…have a good one! xo Shaina
Thought for the day: "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." -Aristotle