Wednesday, May 23, 2012

38 weeks....

...still baking and hanging a little lower (and mama's tired).   


We actually had somewhat of a false alarm on Monday.  My blood pressure has been a little iffy, so when I woke up with fat feet and a headache, the doctor wanted some blood work done.  Off to L&D we went....after buzzing around the house cleaning, packing our bags (just in case) and getting some food together for Patrick.  We checked in, they hooked me up to the monitor, watched my BP, and drew some blood.  Everything ended up being fine so we went home a couple of hours later.  At one point, the nurse said "oh yeah, your contractions are about 5 minutes apart."  What?!  I thought that was gas haha.  Since then, they've gotten a little more noticeable, but nothing crazy yet.  Just waiting....  I promise you will know when its the real deal. :-)

Last night, we had the fam over for dinner.  I threw together a veggie lasagna - easy way to feed a crowd.  Dinner guests contributed the salad, garlic bread and dessert so we had a yummy feast.  Lasagna can be a looooong process, but if you're good at multi-tasking, its not too bad.  First, I prepped all my veggies and doctored up some sauce:

lasagna layers: sauteed chopped spinach, sauteed mushrooms, tomatoes, sauteed zuccini, roasted peppers (bake at 400 for 40 minutes and then throw in a ziploc baggy so the steam helps peel the skin off - a little trick I learned from my Grandma)


and the "ricotta cheese" :-)  it was actually tofu.  Throw a package of drained firm tofu into the food processor with some garlic, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and the chopped stems from the mushrooms and pulse until it has the consistency of ricotta.  A great way to add some protein to a veggie dish!
After all the ingredients were ready, I set up my assembly line:


layered the lasagna and baked at 350 for about 20-25 minutes, until the cheese started to brown.  After I threw it in the oven, I realized I forgot something....


sad.  No peppers.  It was still yummy though, and we have leftovers in the freezer. 


(I forgot to take a picture of my plate before the food disappeared.)

While we were all sitting around the table, our produce delivery came - 12 hours early?!  Our delivery guy is so cute - he's this 60ish year old man and he's so nice.  I think I'm going to start making him some treats.  He dropped off our amazing box for the week, and then came back 2 minutes later with goodies that he said were for the baby!


Fresh juice anyone?

In the box this week: 1 lemon, 1 avocado, 4 peaches, 1 package blueberries, 1 bunch broccoli, 1 bunch turnips, 1 bunch carrots, 1lb mixed lettuce, 1 lb assorted potatoes, 1 lb zuccini and a bundle of parsley!  I think a big pot of vegetable soup is in our near future. 

We're relaxing today.  Have a fantastic Wednesday everyone! xo Shaina

No comments:

Post a Comment