Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Rule Breaker

Happy hump day!  Is it just me or are the days FLYING by lately?  I like it. J That much closer to seeing my hubby again!

So today is Ash Wednesday.  I know not everyone out there is Catholic, but a lot of non-Catholics have picked up on the “trend” – if you will – of giving up something for Lent.  I started thinking about what I wanted to give up and realized I’m giving up enough between not being able to drink for 9 months and going to bed feeling like a nun since the beginning of December. ;-)  This year I want to focus on doing something extra every day.  I haven’t figured out what that something is…but I’m brainstorming.  It could be something as little as giving someone a genuine compliment every day.  Seems small – except to the person on the receiving end.  Why not make a conscious effort to brighten someone else’s day?
Are you giving up anything for Lent?  Doing something extra?  I’d love to hear what you guys are up to!
In other news, I’m on the prowl for our next house.  I set up our LAST Navy move yesterday…now I just need a “ship to” address for our belongings!  I came down to LA from Seattle with the bare essentials and have been staying with my sister-in-law and her fiancée for a few months.  Now it’s time to get our things set up and get ready for Patrick to come home!  I’m looking at a few places today and have seen other promising properties that I’ve called about – so cross your fingers for us!  I'll post pictures when I hit the jackpot. 
Breakfast this morning was interesting.  I'm not sure what I was trying to accomplish, but I ended up with a smoothie haha.  I soaked some oat groats overnight - they make a yummy oatmealish-type thing, which was the plan.  They are also an amazing source of fiber. 

I normally put them in the food processor in the morning before mixing them with whatever, but since mine is in storage, I pulled out the blender.  That's where the smoothie began haha.  I went with it.  I tossed in about 1/4 cup of soaked groats, 1/2 cup almond milk, cinnamon, a banana, a few spoonfuls of goat yogurt, a scoop of vanilla protein powder and a sprinkle of dried goji berries. 

Verdict: delish.  I like smoothies.  They are an easy, fast way to get tons of nutrition without feeling super full AND there are no rules.  The groats gave the smoothie an interesting texture, but hey - no rules.
xo Shaina

No comments:

Post a Comment