Wednesday, May 16, 2012

What's in the Box?

Special delivery to the Anderson house this morning!


We're only on week #2 of produce delivery and I'm loving it.  Its like Christmas morning every Wednesday; we never know what's going to be in there.  This week:


3 apples, 1 grapefruit, 2 oranges, 2 avocados, 1 pint of strawberries, 2 BIG ears of white corn, 1 bunch of broccoli, 1 bunch white baby turnips, 1 bundle of spinach, 1 head of green leaf lettuce and....more rhubarb!  Haha oh no....good thing they send recipes with your box.  I'll make some rhubarb turnovers and give them away. :-)  All of this - local, organic and delivered to my door for $31.50 a week?!  Yes please.

Last week's box had 2 lbs of rhubarb in the haul...what does one do with that?! 


My first thought was Strawberry Rhubarb pie - something my Mom used to make often when I was a child.  I'm actually not a big pie person anymore - more of a pie *filling* person. ;-)  I browsed some recipes and decided on a crumble-looking thing from Betty Crocker (read: NOT healthy, but sometimes necessary). 

Ingredients:

Crust & Topping

-1 c butter or margargine, softened
-1 c packed brown sugar
-1 t vanilla
-2 c whole wheat flour
-1.5 c quick cook oats
-2/3 c chopped nuts (optional)
-1/2 t baking soda
-1/4 t salt

Filling

-2 cups turbinado sugar
-2/3 c whole wheat flour
-2 t milk of choice
-4 eggs (or egg replacer equivalent)
-4 cups sliced strawberries
-4 cups sliced rhubarb

1. Heat oven to 375. 
2. In a medium bowl, mix butter, brown sugar and vanilla.  Stir in 2 cups of the flour, oats, nuts, baking soda and salt until crumbly. .
3. Reserve 2 cups of this mixture for the topping.  Press the remaining mixture into an ungreased 15x10x1-inch pan.  (I didn't have this size so mine was just extra thick.)


4. In a large bowl, mix turbinado sugar, 2/3 c flour, milk and eggs with a spoon until smooth.  Fold in the strawberries and rhubarb.
5. Spoon the filling onto the crust.  Sprinkle with reserved crumb topping.
6. Bake 40-50 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and the middle is set.  Cool slightly - about 30 minutes.
7. Serve with whipped cream, ice cream or plain - it was delish by itself.  Store covered in the refrigerator.


I actually had a little bit of an epiphany yesterday, which in turn took away my guilt about said unhealthy dessert.  I feel like my relationship with food and looking a certain way was a little unhealthy before I got pregnant.  Often times, we ladies have a skewed body image and the reflection we see in the mirror isn't what everyone else sees when they look at us.  Case in point: I saw a picture of myself from Feb 2011 yesterday and it kind of shocked me.  I never realized I was that small.  It wasn't unhealthy small (close), but I love my body so much more right now than I ever have...maybe minus the swollen ankles.

I haven't even gone through the most amazing part of this pregnancy yet, but I am already so amazed at what my body has been capable of - housing, feeding and protecting our sweet baby until s/he is ready to come out and greet the world.  I will be forever grateful to my body and am okay with however it looks after this is all said and done - within reason of course.  My focus is on being healthy and active so that I can take the best care of our family possible.

37 weeks - full term today!! :-)




(Its so nice to not have to take my own picture every week now.  Its the little things haha.)

Have a lovely Wednesday everyone! xo Shaina






No comments:

Post a Comment