Friday, June 22, 2012

Body by Tripp: 1 Month

I got the green light for exercise yesterday!! Woohoo! Time for the burn. I was excited to strap these babies on last night for the first time in a long time.  


I only ran a mile, but I felt like I could have done another at the end.  I don't want to increase my mileage too fast and get hurt, so I only did 1 and came back for some jump roping, squats & lunges (body weight only) and some ab work.

Meet my personal trainer:


He looks harmless, but he keeps me on a strict schedule and gets really angry with me if I don't do what he wants.  He's got abs of steel - here he's demonstrating leg lifts without putting his hands under his butt.  I can't even do that right now. ;-)

I'm definitely going to have to take it slow - my endurance and muscle strength are not anywhere near what they used to be - but I'm still excited!  Muscle memory is a fantastic thing and I'm hopeful that I'll be back up to my crazy circuit workouts in no time. 

the day before Tripp was born - 38 weeks & up 39.5 pounds


home from the hospital! 2 days post-delivery


1 week post-delivery


4 weeks post-delivery, down 22 pounds (1 lb of which might have been from my haircut)


I'm pretty happy with the way things are going so far.  Does the ridiculous, girly, impatient part of me want to be back in my skinny jeans already?  Of course.  Does the other, more mature and realistic part of me realize that 3 months is a more likely timeline?  Yes. 

I have about 17 pounds to go before I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight.  Some of that my body might hold on to while I'm still breastfeeding and that's okay.  Whatever Tripp needs. :-)  Some women hang on to about 10 pounds or so while breastfeeding, others are smaller than their pre-pregnancy size at the 2 or 3 month mark.  Who knows!  I'm just glad to be able to work out again.  Besides the fact that it will get me back in shape, it's such a big part of who I am and gives me so much more energy - which proooobably has something to do with my being overwhelmed earlier this week.  I have a feeling I'll be much more like myself once I get back into a regular workout routine. 

Some things I didn't expect:

-laying on my stomach to feel soooo gooood.  But don't try it the day your milk comes in.  Bad timing.  Painful.
-for 20 pounds to fall off in about 10 days, and then slam into the worst plateau EVER.  Talk about frustrating. We're starting to move again though.
-to rival Dolly Parton the day the milk man came.  Yikes.  Thank God that goes away a few days later.  Out. Of. Control.  I think Patrick was scared haha.
-I never got the dark line down the middle of my stomach...until after Tripp was born.  Weird. Its really faint, so I'm wondering if it was always there but I couldn't see it because my skin was stretched so tight.  One of my maternity nurses said it could take up to a year to go away!
-NO STRETCH MARKS!!  I honestly thought I'd get some - my belly was SO tight I thought it was just going to rip open by the end.  I'd like to thank my Mom for those genes and whoever decided that putting coconut oil in a jar and selling it would be a good idea.  Lather up ladies!  (I have no idea if it helped...but I'm certainly not willing to go without it next time and test the theory.)
-By the end of my pregnancy, I was housing half a pizza...and salad, dessert + a snack an hour later.  Even with my stomach squished by the human taking up my entire torso, I was able to eat a ton.  I was a little nervous about that after he was born.  Luckily, my appetite went back to normal pretty quickly and my pre-pregnancy portions are satisfying me.  Whew.

That's enough about me...how about a dinner recipe?  Isn't it awesome how exercising just makes you want to eat healthier?!  I love that.  After my workout sesh last night, I wanted something really healthy/not too heavy for dinner and really needed to unload some produce from the fridge.  What we ended up with took literally 15 minutes to throw together...who doesn't like that??


I still had a lot of bok choy from our delivery this week, so stir fry is what came to mind.  I cut 1 yellow onion, 1 red bell pepper, 2 sweet chiles and 1 bunch of brocollette and tossed that into the skillet with some olive oil.  Once those started to get soft, I added 1 clove of chopped garlic, about 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped ginger and some Tamari (gluten free soy sauce).  I have no idea how much...measuring is overrated sometimes. :-)  Once the sauce coated everything, I added some frozen shrimp and the chopped bok choy & cooked until the shrimp were hot and the bok choy was wilted. 


You could serve this over brown rice, but I wasn't feeling something that filling.  I wasn't in the mood for a full blown salad either, so I cut some tomatoes and drizzled them with olive oil. 

We're definitely going outside to enjoy the beautiful weather today.  Maybe we'll see how Tripp likes the jogger on the way to the Farmer's Market tonight.

Have a lovely weekend!  xo Shaina

No comments:

Post a Comment