Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Preparation is Key

Hey there - how's your morning going?  Halfway to the weekend! 

We've been catching up on life the last two days after our awesome week away.  We flew to the East Coast and hopped around New England for Tripp's first vacation.  First we stopped in NYC for a Yankees/Red Sox game, made our way to CT to see my extended family and attend my Aunt's wedding, then drove up the coast to Maine so that I could eat my body weight in lobster over 3 days.  Amazing.  Lobster and steamed clams, lobster benedict (with avocado!!), lobster rolls....don't mind if I do. :-)


Coming home from a week away always entails one of my least favorite things: an empty fridge.  What to do....

I like to have a good selection of grab & go stuff ready, especially now that we have our little man.  I don't always have time/energy to cook or I might be busy when Patrick is hungry and he can't doesn't like to cook haha. 

This week:

beets, quinoa and lentils



kale salad (kale, red cabbage, shredded carrots, red onion and sesame seeds with a homemade dressing: 2 oz olive oil, 1 oz sesame oil, 1 oz apple cider vinegar, 1 oz maple syrup, 1 tsp ground ginger)


grilled chicken breast and grilled veggies


I'm on a total eggplant and zucchini kick right now.  I'll usually toss those in olive oil and sea salt, along with whatever random veggies come in our box for the week and grill away. 

I eat a lot of salads, too, so prepping all of that stuff makes my life way easier.  Kale salad is easy to make ahead of time because it doesn't wilt like lettuce.  If you don't like kale, tear and wash your lettuce and store it in a wet paper towel in a ziploc bag, cut your veggies ahead and just throw everything together.  Its normally better to wait and cut fresh fruits and vegetables right when you need them since they start oxidizing as soon as they are exposed - but if it means the difference between eating healthy and not, I say chop away!

Having foods ready to grab when you don't have a lot of time to prep something healthy is a huge key to success when it comes to eating well.  When I make dinner, I try to make enough so that we have leftovers to heat up the next day as well - minus fish.  Fishy leftovers are gross.

Off for a morning run while Daddy feeds the baby!  Have a lovely day everyone!

xo
Shaina



No comments:

Post a Comment